Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

Wednesday 24 September 2008

When Will They Tow The Line

Poison in children's clothing is emerging as the latest health risk from China -- scientists found formaldehyde in woollen and cotton clothes at levels 500 times higher than is safe.

First it was the melamine found in the baby formula, next I watched on Londres telly about chemicals found in leather sofas made in this very country causing severe allergic reactions to those seated on their sofas.

And now this.

I am very troubled by this piece of news as I recall most toys I bought from ELC for Bubba is made in China. I know this because I specifically checked the label for the 'Made In' information. I am not prejudiced, however, looking at their track record, I am very wary of all products coming out of their country.

Last night I went through Bubba's clothes, blankets, mittens, socks, etc. My findings are:
  • Mothercare and Marks & Spencer's products - mostly (almost all) made in India.
  • Gap - Everything is made in China, except one piece of onesies that is made in Turkey.

This morning I washed all her stuff and they are now hanging out to dry. I can only hope the excess chemicals have been completely washed out.

Finally, the one question that's on my mind - should I bin her toys as there is no information made available on the materials used to produce the toys and she could be biting into some chemically-laden soft toys/ball/cloth-books/rattles and subsequently make herself ill in the long run?

No comments: