Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

Friday 4 July 2008

(Loud) Music To The Ears

Seeing that my life will change drastically (in a good way no doubt) very soon and time will no longer be on my side, no more idle moments on how to spend my days and nights, I had a host of list of musicals I wanted to see at the West End. Mary Poppins, Cats, Phantom of the Opera and Chicago were tops. I thought I could go see at least one each month this year.

January we were away, end of February - early April I was suffering morning sickness, May we were back in Msia, and at end June we finally booked We Will Rock You. Yay Queen!

All excited we headed to Tottenham Ct Road on Wednesday evening, had dinner at Burger King across the theatre and we were settled in nicely in our seats by 7.15pm.

Then we realised something.

We had the speakers right in front of our faces. Literally. There we were, seated a few rows from the stage on the far left hand corner, with mega huge mean looking noise-generating machine staring back at us. Oh-oh.

When I was un-preggers, I never realised that the music can get a notch too loud in there. 10 minutes into the show I was wondering if bubba was okay to be exposed to such thunderous noise. I mean it was REALLY deafening. I covered bump with handbag (yeah like duh) as my oversimplistic solution and realised I still was not feeling comfortable with situation.

We decided to move to the back of the theatre and I kept my fingers crossed there would be some empty seats for us to switch to.

We managed to secure some seats about 7-8 rows from behind but I still found it way too loud. I was worried I would damage her ear drums, harm the development of her hearing or even scare her. After all, I did read that bubbas can already hear your voice, the surrounding and the rumbling tummy above her. I can't imagine what she must have thought had happened when Radio Ga Ga came on. Por little thing.

Despite being away from the speakers, it did not alleviate my worries over how bubba was reacting to the noise. In the end, my instincts kicked in and we decided to leave halfway through. After all I was not enjoying the musical completely what with the nagging fear I had.

I am abit shattered I did not get to stay till the end, I really wanted to hear my fave - Don't Stop Me Now and the other hits - but I guess tak ada rezeki.

I am also gutted that I won't be seeing another musical for a long long time.

Any mommy or pregnant women out there who has had similar experience on this maybe, since I googled the net and the reviews were mixed. Being risk-averse, I guess my approach was better to be safe than sorry.

No comments: