Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

Monday 22 October 2007

Manchester

I’ve not been diligent with blogging lately [not that I'm assuming anyone would notice] mainly because I’m too tired to do much at the end of each day. It has been a busy week for me even prior to Dad’s arrival. There was the Hari Raya do leftover tiredness from the last weekend, work has been unforgiving thanks to the Prick and nights just seem too short to get everything done. Confession: far too much precious time is spent on the wretched Facebook.

I normally have my weekend to lie in to get over the hectic week. But this time, before I could recover from whatever it is I needed to recover from, we had to go up to Manchester.

***

Manchester has indeed changed a lot since I last saw her in 1986. Everything has been replaced; old dilapidated council flats to clean slick modern apartments, small cosy sized mall with bigger shopping mall equipped with every latest high street label you can wish for, new roads, impressive structures (Hilton) and the rejuvenation of Salford Quays.

My most vivid memory of Manchester; getting off the bus at Piccadilly Gardens, walking across to Wimpy’s, where mum and I would have fish and chips for lunch. This was right next to Lewis's, our favourite shopping haven. These were our frequent haunts then. However, Wimpy’s has now been replaced with Burger King and the building that used to house Lewis's is now hosting Primark.

The bus stops are still where I remember them to be but now there’s additional public transportation; there are trams along the roads. The only city in England with trams I believe. From what little I witnessed that day, these trams are quite unsafe considering pedestrians just cross as they please oblivious to the trams passing through! You’d hear loud honks occasionally to ward off the chavs and yobs wandering aimlessly along the tram paths/trails. I’m thankful it was not as chaotic back then as it is now.

Since I don’t have the luxury to go into detail with what we did in Manchester, I will leave you with some photographs instead.

Ps. I did have a great chicken donner kebab somewhere along Wilmslow Road in Rusholme though *smack lips*


81 Gorton Lane (Wharfer clan’s humble abode in the 80s)





University of Manchester



Arndale Centre (New Wing)



Eye of Manchester



Old Trafford Football Stadium

2 comments:

ZazaHardy said...

manchester has changed indeed! we went there last summer, arndale dah lawar, the square is now with fountains and some offices, we brought aidan to old trafford, now fully renovated.. and we went to hardy's old uni and house as well.. and had dinner at rusholme! sedaaappp...

unfortunately, i wasnt quite fond returning to manchester, so ada sakit perot sikit... long story or shall i say history.. but as hardy kept telling me, that was all in the past! so to overcome it all, gi jugak, and we had fun!

this weekend, stay at home, rest, sleep and be a couch k?

Zaza

The Wharfer said...

kan? all so cantik and new now.

dont mention rusholme, it reminds me of the delish kebab i had..memang sedap!

O no, what happened in Manchester, I'm curious!

Rest? Not just yet. This weekend we're off to Brussels. Appreciate tips on places not to be missed, chocklit shops + good eateries [is Brussels a good place to shop?] etc etc. Thanks!