Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

Sunday 1 April 2007

New Friend

I blog-hop anonymously a lot but rarely, if not never, leave comments on anybody’s blog unless they are friends. One blog I chanced upon a few months ago that sparked my interest was the post on a particular blogger’s experience in cat relocation. Let’s refer to said blogger as ‘she/her’ for simplicity shall we. This was a matter close to my heart as I was in the same position awhile ago when I had to leave the Motherland and was seriously considering bringing Winnie along.

In early January, I was heading to the country that the blogger had relocated to, for a holiday. I thought why not ask if she could provide some helpful tips on what I can expect of the country. So for the first time, I dropped her a comment, thankfully she reciprocated and after many email exchanges, we sort of agreed to meet for coffee when I was in her territory. Due to my limited time and her busy schedule, we had to forego the meet-up but agreed that hopefully one day our paths may cross again (little did we know that it would be this soon). We continued to communicate via emails and I, leaving comments in her blogs and before long she declared her plans to come to London in March. We were given a second chance at meeting, how great is that?

Yesterday we finally met up and it was great to say the least. Initially I was apprehensive about the meet. Making new friends at this age seemed daunting. I had my reservations and many 'what-ifs'; what if it were totally different being face-to-face as opposed to communicating via internet? But it turned out just fine and dandy. On my part I really think she’d be someone I could spend a lot of my time with. We had one big thing in common, our love for cats and I guess the majority of our conversation centred on feline-related topics. It is also a bizarre coincidence that our husbands work for the same company (well technically the same). I think we chatted for a good three hours, non-stop; there was so much to share! As she had lots to do and not enough time, we had to put on hold this new friendship of ours and rely on virtual sessions i.e. chats/emails/blogs for now. Perhaps one day soon she will come back here, and me, travel there. Or, maybe when we are both back home for good, we could nurture this friendship to the next level, who knows.

Without a doubt, the blogsphere is a wonderful virtual place that can bring (real) people together. It's just incredible what the internet can offer you.

No comments: