Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

Wednesday 16 July 2008

C'est La Vie

I should really be in T2 LHR right now checking in for our Sicilian beach holiday. Instead here I am, still in the comforts of home, typing away on the laptop of my circumstances.

We cancelled our trip last night. All very last-minute.

Despite dying for a beach retreat for the longest time, we gave this a miss mainly due to the two reasons below.

The weather in Sicily is supposed to be 38 degrees, that’s even warmer than what I am used to in Malaysia and I was worried about what I read in the pregnancy lit – swelling of feet/hands/face when too hot and constipation (leading to piles) if dehydrated; the (common?) discomforts that may occur during pregnancy. (Am I being irrational, or too cautious here, by letting pregnancy rule my life/take the fun out of everything – remember We Will Rock You?)

Secondly, IK checked the reviews on the hotel and despite it being rated 4*, all the comments about the hotel were negative, apart from nice Mediterranean Sea views (oooh how lush is that but…). We tried looking for alternatives and perhaps pay a bit more for an upgrade but it appears that all hotels by the beach around the Palermo area had bad reviews, yes even the 5* ones. What is it with Italiano hotels?

At the time of booking this holiday, we took the option to be able to cancel it at a minimal fee. With that, Exp3dia was able to reimburse our hotel cost but we will only receive a credit note for the flight tickets. I very much doubt that we will have the opportunity to claim the credit note because the airlines’ policy for pregnant women to fly is 27 weeks (trimester 3) and that’s 1.5 weeks away for me.

Don’t know if we did the right thing. Am I disappointed? To say no completely would be a lie, so yes I am a little, but surprisingly not as much as I expected to be. But there goes my last holiday for the next erm, 5 years maybe?

I have booked my leave until the 21st, that’s Wed - Monday. Wondering what I am to do with all that time in my hands. Perhaps hit the shops and return all my maternity beachwear?

No comments: