Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

Saturday 1 March 2008

Torn Between Two

Mumsy is celebrating mother’s day tomorrow by catching a flight to Bali to see sibling + family for a week. This was a surprise pressie from sibling for Mumsy and so she had no say in the dates, length of stay, all timing-related matters basically.

She welcomes the break to spend time with cute grand dot and the craft-shopping she can get done in Bali but is a bit apprehensive as her flight back is the following Saturday - that’s a whole week away from her other grand dot (of the furry kind). She cannot request to change the flight dates earlier at the risk of offending said sibling.

But being as besotted as Mumsy is over these cats, I know exactly how Mum feels about leaving them behind for a long time. She would not be too concern had it been a 3/4 days' trip.

I’ve probably mentioned countless times how Cleo has no outdoor surviving skills and how she is very dependant on Mumsy for everything – meal times, toilet trips and even her bedtime. Mum also waits on Cleo when she is out in the garden for fear of the notorious grey tomcat preying on Cleo and for fear of inadvertently locking her out of the house (she does not do windows, only front doors). I guess it is mostly Mum’s fault for pampering her but that’s too late now.

As for Winnie, she is more independent than Cleo but does have her peculiarities that only Mumsy could ever understand e.g. where she wants to go (‘Please carry me upstairs Gramma’), which blanket/bedsheets she prefers, her 'please open bedroom door for me' meows or when she wants her biscuits, etc.

Dadster is fine with them but there really is no ‘special’ bond. He will however provide the basic necessities they need; rub, feed, clean litter, but he wouldn’t understand their meows or actions as well as Mum does. He ain't no Dr Dolittle!

Mum sent me a text a couple of hours ago saying she is going to Bali with a very heavy heart. I have assured Mum I would call Dad everyday to check on the cats (and him!) and that everything will be okay.

I guess it is time I go home to be with the family so it would be easier when Mumsy has to go away. She can go with a peace of mind with a trusty cat-sitter around (i.e. me me me).

No comments: