Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

Sunday 13 January 2008

Trivia on My Family

Dadster has been in Bali for the last six days, spending time with sibling number three and youngest grand-dot.

Mumsy's at home with Winnie and Cleo, the other two grand-dots (of the furry kind). I've been calling home twice daily just to make sure she is alright until Dadster returns on Monday.

This is a 'trivia' about my family that nobody thinks it to be acceptable or 'normal'. Let me explain:
  • All siblings have left the nest and there is no helper at home.

  • Cleo + Winnie keep mum + dad company (read: busy) at home - they clean cat litter, take Winnie upstairs for bed time, accompany Cleo for meals/pee/poo/play in garden, take them to the vet, buy cat biscuits etc etc.

  • Both furballs are terrified of strangers (and even of certain family members).

  • Therefore we never leave them in cat boarding/vet/pet hotel/anyone etc for fear of the trauma it may cause them.

Hence holidays for Mum/Dad are never spent together. One person has to stay at home to cat-sit while the other goes on holiday. All the time.

People may not say it to my face but I know what they are thinking (as their facial expressions are a dead giveaway) when I tell them either Mumsy or Dadster is at home cat-sitting. They think my family is mad, putting up with that sort of arrangement i.e. Dad and Mum having to travel alone/without each other.

It gets awkward having to explain to anybody why Mum is here with me and Dad isn't and vice versa. I am sometimes tempted to jeopardise the family image and blatantly claim that they are separated.

No comments: