Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

Monday 17 December 2007

2007: The Year That Was

I think this is a timely post to reflect on the past 12 months.

This year has been (not unlike previous year), yet again, a year of sorts; lots of celebratory and happy happy joy joy moments laced with some minor (nothing life-threatening but sorrowful nonetheless) tribulations which I am guessing happens to help plant my feet firmly to the ground.

Let’s see, I achieved quite a bit of travelling, played host to visitors from far and near, managed to persevere in my job despite the ‘challenges’ and polished on my new found interest – photography.

I have been truly blessed – got to go home twice this year and if all go as planned, I will be going home again for 10 days end of this week yahoo. *fingers crossed* Winnie, Cleo, satay, sri ayutthaya, vanilla teh tarik, here I come!

Managed to catch a few fab musicals – Avenue Q, Mamma Mia, Lion King and the Sound of Music. I heart musicals. Hopefully Grease, Mary Poppins, Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera for 2008?

This is also the year I got addicted to mukabuku. To be fair, I did get reunited with friends from school I have not seen/spoken to since 1991 thanks to FB. Met so many displaced buddies who I’d never imagine I could get in touch again especially since (almost) everyone is either in Hong Kong or Australia I’ve discovered. And some great ex colleagues too.

I started this unknown journey of being a ‘blogger’ (still not full fledged yet ) which has been a good cure for lonely cold nights and along the way I was fortunate to have made some lovely virtual friends which has been tres fun. So far so good.

I even managed to organise and host an ‘open house’ albeit very small in scale. Mumsy would be proud.

Very briefly, the downside has been mostly work-related; the work pressure and surviving the two restructuring exercises. To-date it has been a roller coaster ride. There were times when it got too much but this has been manageable thanks to IK’s enduring support. But on rare magical moments like today, when he said OK and threw in a surprise ‘cherry-on-cake’ element, has made me think that all the commitment has thankfully been recognised/rewarded (but was the angst/stress thrown my way really necessary?).

Another downside - problem that was diagnosed by the dermy but sadly a cure has not been found for it since. I have made a conscious decision to allow my body let it take its course along the road to recovery at its own pace and will not interfere anymore. OK so maybe I have given up a little bit.

Neck/shoulder/back injuries in April and again recently but they have been sorted by physio sessions. Must must must improve posture.

Those were some trials but I don’t think it is justifiable to dwell on them too much as I have been blessed with endless opportunities/murah rezeki and they really are too negligible to mention when you think about the less fortunate. My so called problems seems so insignificant compared to what some have to go through. Big picture I remind myself.

Alas, I turn 34 next year. OMG OMG OMG. For once in my life I am emotionally affected by my age. I truly feel like a dinosaur. Turning 30, 31, 32 and 33 had never bothered me then, but turning 34 just seem so so so old. So aged. So elderly. So ancient.

Age notwithstanding (depending on my mood, I still have a good 8 - 9 months to be in denial or start to learn to accept reality), I look forward to what 2008 will bring.

Happy 2008 everyone!

2 comments:

ZazaHardy said...

and yes, 2007 we becam buddies indeed! :)

havent forgotten all about you, been so terribly busy playing host and preparing for our UK trip this weekend. here's wishing both you and ik a very happy new year and may 2008 bring you even more rezeki, more happiness, more travelling, more musicals, less injuries and please forget about age thing, they're just numbers! :)

sending you lots of love and warm wishes! wrap warm k! and happy shopping this boxing day!

hugs,
zaza

The Wharfer said...

Thanks Zaza!

Although boxing day is a week away, theyve started with pre sales and its madness I tell ya, I'm guilty guilty guilty.

Enjoy christmas in UK, boxing day shopping, happy holidays and best wishes for 2008 to you, Hardy and Aidan!