Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

Sunday 7 October 2007

Weekend of Sorts

It was certainly a roller-coaster weekend for me. A whole bag of emotions all within forty-eight hours. Anger, resentment, frustrations, disappointment but thankfully some joy and laughter too.

IK described me as unstable. Charming, isn't he?

***

Had a few major showdowns with IK. One after another.

Firstly, I was terribly upset he wasn’t on my side; defending this third party for obvious stupidity; how could he?

Next, family issues.

Finally, his behaviour over the way he handled his friends. I could not fathom the rationale/logic/justification for his actions.

All this within one Saturday. I could not have disagreed any more even if I tried to.

***

With Eid celebrations around the corner, I engaged the services of a cleaning agency to clean the entire house. It was undoubtedly expensive but it would be awfully tiring to do the entire house while observing the fast. Ok ok laziness was a major determining factor too.

Cleaner came on Sunday morning as promised, surveyed house, said that it would take around 3-4 hours to complete tasks. Everyone was happy with timeline.

After 2 hours, all that was done were the two bathrooms. She hadn’t even started with the vacuuming and the mopping of the kitchen, the living room, the bedrooms or the stairs. I could feel anger rising to my head and smoke coming out of my ears already; I was not about to pay her extra for dilly-dallying. I could not help but feel she was trying to pull a fast one on us i.e. doing the chores ever so s l o w l y since she charged by the hour. I was fuming so naturally I bitched about it to IK and expected him to understand, empathise, support me and rectify matter because…well just because. Instead, he disagreed in not so many words, and added something to the effect that I should deal with it myself. Big mistake. Maybe I was hormonal but guess what? That triggered yet another fight.

Gaduh. Gaduh. Gaduh. So tragic ok. *BIG FAT SIGH*

Just to let you know, IK did speak to her and she barely made it within the four hours resulting in sloppy work [as expected] towards the end. A classic case of ‘let’s just get it over and done with’ basically.

***

I have been craving for some good kebab. Ever since I arrived on these shores, I have not found a single kebab shop that caters to my notion of a mouth-watering kebab. My notion being the kebab I had in Cardiff during my university days some ten years ago that has left a lasting impression on me. One that is served over the counter of a little corner take away shop, in a fresh pita bread, slices of chicken on a bed of lettuce and cucumber [no onions please], drizzled with mint and chilli sauce, served hot with chunky chips on the side, washed down with fizzy diet coke straight from the can.

After describing my ‘requirements of good kebab’ to one of my colleagues, she confidently imparted her wisdom on great kebab eateries to me – Edgeware Road, Baker Street blah blah blah. She highly recommended this particular Turkish restaurant on Great Portland Street. I was excited beyond belief at the promise of finally devouring the kebab of my dreams. So we were there on Saturday night [quarrels notwithstanding] for iftar. When my chicken kebab arrived, it was not even remotely close to what I had described to her. Did I describe the dream-kebab in Swahili to said colleague? Was the description not detailed enough, I wonder? And so I was disappointed yet again.

Oh well.

To be fair, their humus was delish and IK enjoyed his lamb doner kebab and grilled meatballs. I believe there is a good chicken kebab out there somewhere with my name written on it. I just have not found it yet. Perseverance is key here; I shall continue my quest to find the perfect chicken kebab. Wish me luck.

***

Made plans with some friends to have the Ramadhan buffet today. It was at one of the Malaysian chain of hotels at the west end. The spread was mediocre; there was the usual nasi tomato, some dim sum, beef rendang, sago gula melaka, teh tarik [bliss], sambal prawns, okra, aubergines and steam fish to name a few. I don't have much to comment food-wise, I merely wanted to say that I really enjoyed the company; there were lots of laughter involved. Must do this more often. Get together with friends and laugh that is, not engage in fighting marathon.

***

In spite of the countless bickering, my weekend ended on a high note after all. Huzzah.

2 comments:

ZazaHardy said...

no wonder i saw your name on our kebab we had for buka last thursday, here, in sittard!!

there's a kebab shop in oxford, just below a college where i did my a levels donkey years ago, its called kebab kid. if you happen to go to oxford by oxford tube or cityline, gi tengok kat gloucester green tu (where all the busses stop), across the square, opposite the cinema.

in stratford, kat city centre, near lakeland, there's a bloody good kebab shop! my brother in law's a regular there.

i dont know any kebab shops in london tho... sorry...

(mengidam + unstable = pregnant? no?) ehehe...

The Wharfer said...

Wah all the way in Sittard rupa rupanya my kebab haha.

Ok thanks for the tips, I must find time to check them out.

To be honest bukan mengidam at all. The fasting does this to me, nak makan macam. Also the fact that I have not found this elusive kebab of mine.

Nah dont think I'm pregnant haha. Unstable is IK's way of describing me - overly sensitive and is constantly upset over petty [to him petty la] matters. But I keep telling him all girls are like that!