Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

Wednesday 10 October 2007

The Diaries of The Wharfer

Crumbling Crowning Glory

I am appalled at the alarming amount of hair I loose every time I have a wash. It does not help that I do it on a cycle of two days either. I don't know if this is normal amount of hair loss but I just don't remember experiencing anything like this before.

I fear I may soon become bald, as that seems to be the natural progression for the male members of my team. Mind you one is only 32 and the other is about 38, both 90% hair-less. I have no interest in being part of the statistics.

Eid

We are now in the midst of preparing for Eid. Everyone is saying that it will fall on Saturday, which suits me fine because I would not want to be celebrating it by replying to e-mails, drawing charts, attending meetings, boggling on issues/problems etc.

If all goes as planned, I will be having a little do at home on Saturday. Very very little since I have never cooked for more than er, five, maybe six, people in my entire life. *Hangs head in shame*. I do like dinner-parties, I just don't know how to organise them. This raya, at the ripe old age of *ahem* thirty-three, I am challenging myself, moving out of my comfort zone, living on the edge, taking the plunge, other whathaveyous and will possibly be cooking for 8-10 people. *Wipe beads of sweat off forehead*. I hope I can pull it off.

Forewarn: If you don't read about it in this blog, it simply means it was a disaster, so it's best not to ask.

Chicken Gunk

Question(s): Why is there so much slime, fat and veins involved in cleaning de-skinned chicken and why do we still eat chicken despite all that?

I have just finished going through four chickens and I am seriously wondering why I am not a vegetarian. The amount of goo I went through was enough to make me barf my guts out. Euuwww. Every time I go through this cleaning process, I contemplate on becoming a vegetarian. After all, eating lots of veggies is not a bad thing is it? I would also spare thousands of cute chickens from being slaughtered. Save the animals I say.

But as soon as I take a bite of the cooked chicken, all is forgotten - save the chickens, healthy vegetable intake - all down the drain. I am hopeless.

My Mother's Husband

Dadster is coming!

I will be getting some kuih raya from home. Yay. It will not be in time for first day of Eid but it will do.

Dadster arrives next Wednesday. He is very much looking forward to his annual pilgrimage; he claims he feels very at home in London as he and she go as far back as the 1960s.

We have two weekends with him. I have organised a few things:
· Manchester trip over one weekend - to reminisce time he spent in the 80s, plus IK gets to revisit his alumni.
· Brussels over another weekend.
· Sound of Music musical. HIP HIP HOOOOYAY.
· Day trips to Portsmouth/Windsor Castle.

Other days when I am at work, he will be able to visit Lincoln's Inn, his old haunts [he is quite a sentimental old man], the museums and there's always Canary Wharf if he gets bored. To be honest Dadster is easy. He does not demand/ask for much, he just enjoys being in London, wandering about on his own and absorbing the sights and sounds.

So there you have it, the life and times of a no longer spring chicken [of the non-slimy kind] aspiring to become a vegetarian while attempting to host a dinner party and planning happy travels.

3 comments:

ZazaHardy said...

you'll do fine.. i'm sure food's gonna be good!

our husbands studied in the same city!

do you know that brussels and sittard is only an hour away? ;)

SELAMAT HARI RAYA to both mr and mrs wharfer. have a good one k?

all our love..

The Wharfer said...

Zaza, we've just been told eid is tmrw, is it the same for you?

Am panicking now in kitchen cooking my rendang, hopefully jadi haha.

Ye ke, Hardy also a Mancunian?

Thanks for wishes and have a great eid celebration with your loved ones!

Ps cant wait to see Aidan in his baju melayu!!!

The Wharfer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.